I don’t have a garden … it probably wouldn’t survive if I tried. Sadly, it’s a water thing and my lack of desire to haul water from our one hose. I do know where to find fabulous fresh produce though. We make supporting our local farmers a fun outing by hopping in the convertible and driving on back roads. Our favorite summer produce stand … it’s the prettiest farm…. is 25 minutes away if we hurry. Our primary goal is always the fresh corn … OMGOODNESS it’s fabulous. Last week, while waiting for the corn to be picked, I selected some zucchini and large tomatoes already planning a fresh veggie dinner …. little did hubby know.
With my Sur La Table spiralizer in hand, I made the zucchini noodles in no time at all. Next was the easy, peasy fresh tomato sauce. The key is to use fresh homegrown tomatoes, don’t even bother if you only have tomatoes from the grocery store. You can see the recipe here…. Fresh Tomato Sauce
The Mediterranean Turkey Patties were already made and in the freezer …. prepping extra one time is such a time saver.
I have more zucchini and tomatoes, lucky us. For a little variety, I think the next sauce will include some roasted mini sweet peppers and grilled shrimp.
- 1½ lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ finely chopped medium red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 oz frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze out liquid using a kitchen towel, chopped
- 6 Tbsp crumbled non-fat feta cheese
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat grill or broiler to high.
- Combine turkey, chopped onion, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, cheese, 1 clove garlic, oregano, basil, bread crumbs, and egg in a medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well with clean hands. Form turkey mixture evenly into slider size patties.
- Grill or broil patties for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle.
I’m joining the fun at Foodie Friday today …. time for some recipe browsing!