We had a little mini family barbecue to break in all the new porch decor. I’ll share the porch soon, it still needs a few finishing touches and it takes me a while to ponder the clutter placements. For now, we’ll concentrate on the food. This side salad is from the Cooking Light July issue. I have a digital subscription and I love it! I don’t have to re-home the print magazine (and I could never just throw them in the trash), the pages are colorful, and it stands in a cookbook holder while I’m cooking. All of my magazine subscriptions are digital now – there’s no going back for me.
This Cucumber Mint Salad is so fresh and easy – we’ll definitely have this many times over the summer.
I tweaked the salad a little by using spenda in place of sugar – otherwise I held true to the original recipe.
I prefer the English cucumbers because I don’t peel them and their green color makes a salad much more pleasing to the eye….
- ⅓ Cup rice vinegar
- 2Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tablespoon splenda
- 1½ teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Cups (1/4 inch thick) slices English cucumber
- 1 Cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- mint leaves for garnish
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and stir.
- Add the cucumber and onions and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Stir every so often to keep the cucumbers and onions coated.
- Garnish with some fresh mint and serve.